Monday 22 September 2014

Recipe - Apricot and Ginger Chutney

I've been wanting to make a chutney for ages but thought I needed to go out and buy a jam pan and so I kept putting it off. My lovely mother told me that she just used her deep bottomed pressure cooker pan so I set about to do the same!

I love ginger in recipes so this is perfect for me, especially as we are starting to go into autumn/winter so it feels appropriate to be bottling fruits and it smelled delicious whilst cooking.

Ingredients

350g dried apricots
100g sultanas
110g blanched almonds
350g granulated sugar
375ml white vinegar
3 onions
6" stem ginger, peeled and grated
1 tsp ground ginger


Method to the Madness

Heat a large stainless steel pan over a medium heat until the pan is hot. Once hot combine the sugar and vinegar in the saucepan, stirring until a syrup mixture forms.


Add all of the remaining ingredients and simmer the mixture, uncovered for 45mins/1hour, until a thickened chutney forms.


NB. I burnt the first batch I made as it didn't seem to be cooking and it was in the same state after 45 minutes of simmering so I turned up the heat and went back to The X Factor resulting in a very blackened sludge at the bottom of my pan. YOU MUST SIMMER. 

Preheat the oven to 170c and place your intended jars in the oven with it's lid to sterilise for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before spooning your chutney in and shutting the lid tight until you want to spread this very tasty chutney on some cheese and crackers!


C x

No comments:

Post a Comment